Things in Chicago are great but busy. Last Tuesday, Lady Madeline opened at Steppenwolf and the opening performance couldn't have come any sooner. Tech for this show was extremely exhausting. It is a very heavy sound, lights and effects show (with lots of makeup and blood). It took us 2.5 days (8 hour days) just to go through the show cue by cue to work things out. We didn't actually get to have a full run w/ everything until the night before opening. Tech was also exhausting because the director kept wanting more gore, blood, etc. and we had no work time to acutally complete the notes and no money to actually do the things she wanted. But it is done now and looks pretty cool I think. This show definitely needs all of this heavy tech (I think the script is pretty boring without it) and I think the costume designer was really happy with how things turned out.
In other news, I have also just started designing costumes for the show Osama the Hero by Dennis Kelly for the Dog and Pony Theatre Company. It is a small show costume wise...only5 actors, one costume a piece. The play is really interesting (it is fun seeing people's reactions to the title). The storyline is a little hard to explain without going on and on, but basically it explores the theme of where do you cross the line of terrorism, who is a terrorist and who isn't, etc. I highly recommend reading or seeing this play if given the opportunity. (Come see it at the Athenaeum Theatre if you happen to be in Chicago anytime between March 16th -April 8th).
Other than that, I have also been doing some side sewing projects for some other theatres, in addition to maintaining the costumes for the Murder Mystery theatre shows at Metropolis, and trying to plan what I am going to do when my apprenticeship is done in May (is it really the time already??).
Before I go, I recommend checking out Steppenwolf's new blog (see link on the side). Our artistic directors post comments about shows we are doing, the ensemble, or just theatre in general. Also, they just announced next year's season which is on the blog and a pretty interesting collection of plays.
Tuesday, February 14, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Glad top hear that you survied tech. Sounds like it was one that produced many a story :). Good luck with Osma the Hero, sound like it will be an interesting play.
Ohh, if it were possible for me to get to chicago I'd love to see Osama the Hero. I will read it no doubt. Sounds a little bit like Munich as far as theme - did you see that movie? It was pretty good, Tony Kushner. I liked it, I thought it was a little choppy though, and don't think it should win best picture AND IT'S NOT JUST BECAUSE I WANT SOMETHING ELSE TO WIN BEST PICTURE - IT'S MY HONEST OPINION! WHAT?
glad to see you updated.
Cathy where are you? I feel that we may have lost you from the internet world to the real world...come back to us!!!
Post a Comment