Summer is over (or at least just about over) and with it brings the end of camp. I had a lot of fun with camp this year, but am so happy it is over. I always forget how draining it is to work with so many kids. It is great to see how enthusiastic about the plays they are working on, but 80 enthusiastic kids all wanted to see their costumes at the exact same moment can be a bit overwhelming sometimes. The camp productions went really well this year. I am always so impressed how talented the kids are and how great a job they do with only 3 1/2 weeks of rehearsals. The only thing left now are the 4 big rubbermaid containers in the family room that I have to finish cleaning and putting away.
In other news, I am currently assisting the costume designer for Madame X the musical (a new musical). I am also the wardrobe supervisor for the show which opens Oct. 7th and which the producers are hoping will run for a while (or at least till the end of the year). So, I will be relatively steadily employed until then. It is a bit intimidating because this is the biggest scale production I have ever worked on before, but I have been enjoying it because of all the really great people also working on the production. It helps that the show is being built by the Steppenwolf costume shop so I already know how they do things there and I really enjoying working with them.
During some of my other free time, I am currently designing a show at Metropolis Performing Arts Center called Dates from Hell. It is a smaller show which is part of their late night series (by smaller I mean smaller budget). The theatre held a competition and asked for submissions from the area. Then the playwright took the best stories and created the script. There are only 6 actors, but each play several characters. Luckily, the director and I have simplified it to use just small pieces instead of complete costume changes to create each character. Once this show is up and running, I will be starting to assist the costume designer (the same designer who is doing Madame X) on the show Dandelion Wine for the Chicago Children's Theatre. I don't really know much about this show yet, but I am already kind of familiar with this theatre company and think it will be an interesting show to work on.
Now, despite the fact that my schedule is definitely a little busy, I have been trying to have some fun also and have some fun non-work related things planned. I went to the WI state fair with some friends a few weekends ago and I got to go out to dinner for my friend Lindsey's birthday (where we also celebrated her recent engagement). My sister and I have planned a trip to Florida during her spring break in March. We are going to go to Disneyworld and also visit my cousin Dan who will be starting school down there soon. Perhaps even more exciting then a real vacation is the Bears vs. Packer game on Dec. 31st which I will be going to. Sure, those are kind of far in the future, but at least I have something to look forward to.
Tuesday, August 29, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment